Homeschool Kits Membership
I am Helen Barry and, along with my husband and daughter, live in Hamilton, New Zealand. While homeschooling our daughter we have come to realise that our best learning doesn’t come from a textbook, but rather from play and exploration. We use all kinds of games and hands on activities to help make our learning experiences well rounded and memorable. Homeschool Kits fits our ethos perfectly, and we are looking forward to being able to offer exciting and inspirational kits to other families, to enhance their learning journey.
Homeschool Kits was originally part of Science for Home Educators, operated by Nathalie Thomas. She has continued on running fantastic science courses (view here) for our New Zealand homeschooling community – both in person and online. Nathalie decided to separate the two businesses, and Sophia Sharpe took on the challenge, building a successful and popular kit hire business. Sophia has now passed the reins to us, and we hope we can do her proud.
What do we offer you?
There are so many great resources available but unfortunately they cost too much for the average family. All those tempting games, electronic, robotic or construction kits often cost several hundred dollars and, while they may benefit your child’s learning for a season, you have to be practical. After all, you probably have more than one child and not everyone goes wild for a robot! Also, what if you spend the $400 on a fabulous K’nex Education Kit and it only gets used for a few weeks?
We hire out quality educational resources to home educators in New Zealand. Our kits come with instructions, lesson plan ideas or books to help you maximise the education potential for your family.
A family can hire kits at the beginning of each school term. We post it to you during the first week of the term and you return it to us in the last week.
Many people have the idea that learning “toys” are only for very young children. Our kits are purchased with children aged 5-18 in mind. FischerTechnik, Matador, Lego Education, Story of the World, Electronics, Robotics and K’nex Education are just some of the brands available.
Who can join?
Membership is open to home educating families in New Zealand.
When you sign up as a member, you pay us a non-refundable $25 membership fee.
Each kit has its own hire price (listed next to each kit on our website) and you do need to pay postage or courier fees to and from your house.
How to join:
To apply for Membership you can email us at: email@example.com with your name, address and contact details
(both landline and mobile phone). You will be asked to provide the following:
- Address ID (e.g. copy of recent power bill or phone bill)
- Copy of your Homeschooling Exemption Certificate
- Personal Photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License)
TIP: You can take a photo of the above and email to us. These documents are used for ID verification only and are not stored by us.
Once you are a member and have paid your membership fees you can book our hire kits!
- We may terminate a Membership if members do not follow the rules or do not return the hire kits on time.
- A fine of $1 per day will be charged for each day your kit is overdue.
- We try to keep all kits in top condition with pieces intact therefore we do charge for missing or broken pieces.
- We reserve the right to approve or decline applications without having to give a reason.
- If you lose a kit or damage it in such a way that it can not be salvaged/repaired, you will be charged the full cost of the kit.
- If a kit is more than $250 in value, we must courier it for insurance purposes. You agree to courier a kit if asked to.